Begins Saturday, June 1st, and runs through Wednesday, August 14th
The Independent Reader game encourages life-long reading habits and is designed for children in grades K-6 who are reading independently. Participants earn prizes as they read! There are three different prize levels:
- Voucher for a free ice cream.
- One of three science kits OR a voucher for an activity to do in Livermore.
- A free book AND a reading medal.
If you set your reading goal to at least 30 minutes per space on the gameboard, you will also be invited to meet the Mayor and City Council Members at a special City Council Awards Night in September.
See below for instructions on how to play the game, then register online. Once registered, there’s no need to return to this page. The rest of the game is played on a paper board after registering. If kids haven't already received a gameboard at school, one may be picked up at any Livermore Public Library branch. Or print your own printable gameboard.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Register Online Here.
- Independent readers who have not yet received a reading gameboard at school, can pick one up (one per child please) starting June 1st at any Livermore Public Library branch.
- Track Reading – Color in a space on your paper gameboard every time you reach the number of minutes you set as your reading goal. You set your reading goal yourself!
- Earn different prizes as you read. When you fill in all the spaces in a prize area, bring your gameboard to the library to claim your prize! Prizes include ice cream, a science kit, or an activity pass to different places in Livermore.
- Keep Reading! – When the last space is colored in, bring in your gameboard to be marked off as a finisher and claim the grand prize: a free book and reading medal. The opportunity to meet the Mayor and City Council, and be on television, will also be awarded if you chose to read at least 30 minutes per space.
- Visit at least 8 times during the summer and read with or talk to a reading buddy, then mark these visits on your gameboard for an additional prize!
- Anyone who signs up for the Independent Reader game is automatically entered to win tickets to see a San Francisco Giants baseball game.
- Disclaimer – The reading progress info of participants may be shared with their school district if enrolled in LVJUSD. If you want to opt out, when registering choose "Other" from the drop-down menu when selecting a school.
Thank you to our generous sponsors for making the Summer Reading Program possible: Friends of the Livermore Library; Center Stage East Bay; East Bay Regional Parks; Foster's Freeze; LARPD; Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory; Livermore Science and Society Center; Papa Murphy's Take 'n' Bake Pizza; and the San Francisco Giants.
Prevent the “Summer Slide”! Students who do no reading over the summer can lose up to two months of learning by the time they return to school. By participating in a summer reading program at a public library, those students can bridge this learning loss. Even reading as few as six books over the summer has been shown to result in higher reading and math scores when students return to school. (Dominican University IMLS-funded research: Public Library Summer Reading Programs Close the Reading Gap)